Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Secret Service

I know I am blogging on dangerous ground as fellow contributor CS is a supporter of John McCain but I can't pretend that this article from the Washington Post's campaign blog "The Trail" is a good idea. Here is a segment of the article:

"It's my intention, if we win this nomination, to reject Secret Service," he said during one of his many conversations with reporters on his Straight Talk Express this weekend. "Why do I need it?"

He adds: "The day that the Secret Service can assure me that if we're driving in the motorcade and there's a guy in a rooftop with a rifle, that they can stop that guy, then I'll say fine. But the day they tell me, 'well, we can't guarantee it,' then fine, I'll take my chances."

McCain rejected Secret Service protection in 2000, after winning the New Hampshire primary. But he wants to go further, rejecting the massive security apparatus should he become president.

"It's the inconvenience," McCain said. "It's the inconvenience it causes people. It's a waste of the taxpayers money. It's just everything I don't like."


Now I'm not sure how much this is McCain trying to be a Republican tough guy and giving a little "bring it on" to potential assassins versus just being incredibly naive about how important a stable leadership is to a democratically elected government of any state, let alone the United States. It's a surprisingly stupid position to have and it makes me seriously doubt his ability to assess threats and dangers that may not be so "clear and present."

Any thoughts CS?

Guided By Voices -- Secret Stars (Live)
From the Live From Austin, Texas double live CD.

Feist -- Secret Heart
From the Let It Die album.