Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Strange Bedfellows

I must admit that I have listened to my fair share of Rush Limbaugh over t he years. We don’t have too much in common politically, but he is entertaining if you have mastered the skill of cognitive dissonance. I also appreciate Rush has the same pull that Howard Stern has; people who disagree with him listen to hear what he will say next.

If you have ever listened, you are undoubtedly familiar with Rush’s intro music played at the start of his show and returning from commercial breaks. It is essentially a catchy base line repeated over and over again with no lyrics.

The tune Rush uses is a small part of “My City Was Gone” by The Pretenders which on the surface is amusing, given lead singer Chrissie Hynde’s liberal political leanings (see examples here and here). Music does make strange bedfellows.

It turned out that Rush had been using the song as his theme and not paying royalties for the song’s use. In 1998, Hynde was successful in getting Rush to stop using the song temporarily. A month later, they agreed on a compromise: Rush could use the song and donate his royalty payments to PETA.

The Pretenders -- My City Was Gone

I can't find an official Pretenders website, so buy their albums through Insound here. Donate to PETA here.