Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Knowing the difference between anecdote and antidote....

Blugold Matt said I could introduce myself. I could write a long narcissistic post telling who I am, but I figure that if you end up reading this blog long enough, you'll get to know me. Matt is the music freak who dabbles in sports. I am the sports freak who dabbles in music. Enough said.

An anecdote that I simply must pass on that comes from a moot court argument (moot court is where law students invent a fake case that other law students have to argue in front of fake judges who are attorneys. It is as dorky as it sounds). The student had been conceding different points -- intellectually, he had dropped his weapon, turned his back from the battle and was in full sprint.

Judge: Counsel, it seems as if with that last comment, you have conceded that the other side is correct and should win this case.
The student takes a breath, runs his hand through his hair and sighs: Not intentionally, your honor.

In honor of this law-related post, I present the wonderfully bizarre music video from Jackson Browne's "Lawyers in Love." The Asian script at the bottom of the screen only adds to the weirdness of the video, which, in Pentagon parlance, "has been overtaken by events."