Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Whistling Dixie

You may have missed this little news item from earlier in the week:

Earle H. Hagen, who co-wrote the jazz classic "Harlem Nocturne" and composed memorable themes for "The Andy Griffith Show," "I Spy," "The Mod Squad" and other TV shows, has died. He was 88.

Hagen, who is heard whistling the folksy tune for "The Andy Griffith Show," died Monday night at his home in Rancho Mirage, his wife, Laura, said Tuesday. He had been in ill health for several months.

I have recently been working my way through all of the Andy Griffith episodes...I am about half way through the 3rd season and so I am on about episode 60 and after that many episodes in a short time period the theme song takes a sort of haunting, ghost-like quality...I could see the theme used in a frightening sort of way...like this...the clip stops before it gets too graphic:



Here are some of Mr. Hagen's greatest works:

The Andy Griffith Show Theme


The Mod Squad Theme

I Spy Theme

Spike Jonze -- Harlem Nocturne