Pages

Friday, September 19, 2008

Relevant Review: Ben Folds "Way To Normal"


Artist: Ben Folds
Album: Way To Normal
Ranking: William Howard Taft

My first impression is that I'm afraid Ben Folds will never make another album as good as anything from the Five discography. But then again isn't that worry just stupid nearly 10 years after their breakup? I am just going to have to get over it I guess.

In terms of solo albums, I would put this squarely between Rockin' the Suburbs [my favorite] and Songs for Silverman [better than 97% of all other albums but you know...not quite...you know...] in likability. The finest track is Folds latest addition to his "Bitch" trilogy" [after "Song for the Dumped" and "Bitches Ain't Shit"] with "Bitch Went Nuts." The song title tells you all you need to know about the song's content.

The opening track, "Hiroshima," takes a couple of listens to appreciate and at first you might think you have stumbled upon another Ben Folds live album but instead it turns into the funniest opening track since "One Angry Dwarf..."

Ben Folds -- Bitch Went Nuts

Ben Folds -- Hiroshima [B B B Benny Hit His Head]