Pages

Friday, July 18, 2008

Songs That I Like #2: The Libertines "Good Old Days"

I really fell in love with this song four years ago and still listen to it often when I need a reminder of what's important in life. I've never really understood if there is maybe a sense of humorous irony to what The Libertines stood for at first and what their lead singer and songwriter Pete Doherty became as a drug addict. Did they really believe the things they sang about in such anti-drug anthems of "Good Old Days" and "What A Waster" and do they realize that Pete became/nearly became that very same Waster.

I don't think you should be allowed to sing lyrics like "If you've lost your faith in love and music, oh the end won't be long" without being dead serious about what rock music can do and the serious nature of it. No smirking allowed. It was this seriousness that attracted me to The Libs and they almost pulled it off until the humanity of the members caught up with them.

The Libertines -- Good Old Days
From the Up the Bracket album.