Pages

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

10-2, 11-2, 12-2, 12-3

I've been out of practice writing about the ups and downs of the Packers seasons these past few weeks with finals wrapping up, traveling, and hacking up a lung for weeks on end...but last weeks loss to the Bears for the 2nd time this season set me over the edge...

But I have to take a step back...breath in, breath out...I didn't think the Packers would make the playoffs this year let alone be in a position to get home field advantage in the playoffs...breath in, breath out...It is a miracle we have gotten this far....breath in, breath out...I should appreciate every game like it is Brett's last....

But the team that made up 1/2 of the Ice Bowl, now looked like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers when they used to regularly visit Lambeau Field in December. All the receivers were huddled around the little heaters they had or bundled up in their parkas. Brett looked like he was discovering the North Pole. I know he is from Mississippi but what good is having home field advantage in January if in fact we aren't very good at playing in cold weather and in stormy conditions.

This song ties in nicely I think...the way the Packers played is a lot like the way Ella's abusive husband ends up in the song...dead in the market. This is essentially the opposite of the infamous Carole King song, "He Hit Me (It Felt Like A Kiss)." Ella's version should have been called, "He Hit Me And I Beat His Brains In."

Ella Fitzgerald -- Stone Cold Dead in the Market (He Had It Coming)

This song comes from a 75th Anniversary Decca Boxed set of Ella's work that my sister found in the clearance rack at the Electric Fetus for $15.99.